Thursday, March 31, 2011

health education

The health education at all of the centers is almost complete! I have been to Kosovo, Area II, Bobandogo, Mabatinin, Pangani, Joska, Kiamaiko, Madoya..... and now, for Bondeni.

By the time I have visited all of the schools, I will have seen every child at Missions of hope schools (at least in theory). This totals nearly 6,000 students. And while there is no way I could ever know each one of them individual, I am shocked by how well they know me. Depending on age, I will see them a total of 45 min -2 hours and a half hours. Although it may be short, it has caused a significant difference.

The difference is not in the cleanliness of the children (perhaps it is still too soon to notice a marked improvement in personal habits) but it has changed the way the community sees me. Now when I walk through communities I still hear "how are you..."* but now I also hear, "hi Leann" 

It is quite a new experience to be in a foreign country, walking down paths I have never tread before, and then hearing my name called out. At first it caught me off guard, but now I am thankful for the sweet voices that call out my name. 

I still respond to, "how are you musungu," but now this musungu has a name!


*the sing-song chant of almost every child in Mathare

1 comment:

  1. How I miss the "how are you" - pure music.

    May God continue to bless you Leann!

    ReplyDelete